Better Together

Brain type 8

Updated on November 26, 2019 in Ask A Coach
4 on November 22, 2019

When I took the quiz about my brain type back in September I came out with having a type 8 brain. To my understanding this means I’m impulsive and compulsive and that I need a healthy balance between carbohydrates and protein?
Can you please give me an idea of what this could look like, please?

• Liked by
3 on November 22, 2019

This is a general overview of nutrition for Brain Type 8:

Brain Type 8 needs a diet that is balanced in high-quality proteins and complex carbohydrates. This type of diet will help balance your blood sugar, help you focus, and provide the necessary building blocks for brain health. 

• Protein-rich foods provide amino acids our body needs to create neurotransmitters such as serotonin (to boost mood, motivation, and positive thinking) and dopamine (to maintain focus, increase learning, and manage emotional reactions). 
    • Regularity of protein (every few hours) provides satiety, balanced blood sugar, and can help stabilize mood. Eat some form of protein at every meal or snack. Easy snack options: small apple with almond butter, blueberries with walnuts, boiled egg with sliced tomato and basil. Meals should include chicken, fish, beef, lamb, hemp, eggs, or a plant-based protein powder such as Omni

• Healthy Fats: olive oil, MCT oil, avocado oil, ghee, olive oil, avocado, nuts and seeds
  • Carbohydrates: Focus on low-glycemic, high-fiber, and organic sources 

• Prebiotic fibers: leeks, onions, raw garlic, sunchoke, raw chicory root, raw asparagus, raw dandelion greens
    • Vegetables: 6-8 servings per day 
    • Whole fruits: 1-2 servings per day
    • Gluten-free whole grains: 1 serving per day (quinoa, buckwheat, millet, wild rice, amaranth, teff)
  • Avoid substances that are toxic to the nervous system such as dyes, artificial sweeteners, sugars, too much caffeine, alcohol, processed foods and refined flours

Practice mindful eating. With your hands in your lap, take 5 deep breaths before eating. Then, take at least 10-15 minutes to eat, stopping when you are about 3/4 full. Try not to do anything else while

you are eating. Mindful eating engages the parasympathetic nervous system, allowing for better digestion, enjoyment of food, and more intention with food choices.

Specific nutrient support:

• Magnesium: pumpkin seeds, chard, sunflower seeds, and beet greens)  
    • B-6: nuts and seeds, eggs, turkey, chicken, salmon, and spinach
    • Probiotics: brined vegetables, sauerkraut, kimchi, plant-based yogurt to encourage GABA production (the calming neurotransmitter).
    • Vitamin D: sunlight, shiitake mushrooms, pasture-raised eggs, salmon, sardines
    • Serotonin-supporting foods include: high quality organic proteins, sweet potato, blueberries, chickpea, dark chocolate (Brain on Joy or Brain in Love), and apples. Saffron spice is also helpful as a natural mood-booster.
    • GABA-promoting foods to include regularly in your diet are: broccoli, almonds, walnuts, lentils, bananas, beef liver, brown rice, halibut, gluten-free whole oats, oranges, and spinach

Hope this helps!

on November 22, 2019

Thank so much! I’m glad to see a list of healthy grains. I literally just made the warm spinach and quinoa salad for tonight’s dinner to go along with the grilled rosemary chicken. But I ate the salad for lunch and it was yummy.
I’m excited about this journey but I still need to take lots more steps to improve.
Intuitively I felt and needed some form of meat and grains but and this makes sense with my brain type.
Thank you

on November 26, 2019

Hello…me, too!  I feel a need for meat or fish which I have not been eating.  Dr. said I have to be careful about chol., sugar and carbs. Just kidding, but I thought that left me with dark green veggies and water!  Best of luck to you. Thanks Coach Zoe, you have been there for me for years! God Bless!

Coach
on November 26, 2019

Glad it makes sense for you, vitalistagirl, and my greatest pleasure, SSV777! 

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
Loading more replies