Better Together

ask a coach

Updated on December 10, 2022 in Ask A Coach
9 on July 5, 2022

I can not find Brain Type under Brain Acess. I would like to take my Brain Type again. Where do i find it?

• Liked by
1 on July 6, 2022

Sure, you can find that in the “Brain Access” tab, but is labeled “BHA/Webneuro” so you might have missed it.

Best!

Zoe

on July 8, 2022

Hi Zoe, i found my previous Brain type 1 and all information along with recommendations, but would like tdo re take the Brain Type test which I can not find. Could you help me with this? Bob

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
1 on July 9, 2022

Once you are assessed initially for your brain type, the recommendations here are catered to those specific results. However, you can always retake the test at https://brainhealthassessment.com for new recommendations. Best!

on July 11, 2022

Thank You

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
0 on September 8, 2022

Hello, what benefit is there to a volumetric mri scan?  Esp for one dealing with tbi neurofatigue?  How does that compare with what shows up on a spect scan?  Thank you

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on September 8, 2022

I’m sorry I’m not the best person to answer this question, but I can give you this information from the Amen Clinic website. If you have more specific questions, please give Amen Clinics a call at 866-926-0386: 

How SPECT Differs from MRI, fMRI, and PET

A SPECT scan is similar to an MRI study in that both can show 3D images of the brain. However, whereas MRI shows the physical anatomy or structure of the brain, SPECT shows how the brain works. PET, another nuclear imaging technique, is similar to SPECT but is a more costly imagining technique. Both SPECT and PET scans show areas of the brain that are healthy, overactive, or underactive. MRI does not give any information on function. A newer version of MRI called functional MRI or “fMRI” is also capable of showing brain activity. It is a very expensive tool that has become popular for scientific research on the brain, but it is not commonly used in clinical settings. fMRI shows instantaneous neural activity to see how the brain responds to a specific stimulus. With SPECT we see brain activity averaged over a few minutes, which makes it better at showing the brain doing everyday activities, such concentrating, meditating, and reading. For both fMRI and PET, the images actually occur when a patient lies in the camera, which can be uncomfortable, noisy, and anxiety provoking. For SPECT, the image occurs when a patient is in the injection room, making the procedure more reliable and easier to do.

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on September 9, 2022

Ok thank you!

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on December 9, 2022

How to motivate others to improve?

I am pretty healthy and happy with my life, but my mother have being her whole life: obese, many body problems due to overweight, have depression, anxiety attacks and now got a cancer… But she doesn’t assume she have problems, cannot even talk about it without having an attack. Doesn’t do anything to improve, don’t let anyone else help her and hates any kind of doctor, therapist, medicines… 

It is really sad to see her dying a little bit more each day. I know all these amazing tools that Dr Amen offers… I mediate its being 10 years… And i cannot make my mother get involved with anything at all… 

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on December 10, 2022

Thanks for your post. It can be incredibly painful to watch a loved one suffer when you know from experience that there are things that could help them to feel more deeply well. It’s tempting to want to suggest a lot of tools that you use in your life that you think could be helpful but often those who have been suffering for a long time on their own aren’t always open to tools we might suggest. Instead, I would suggest that you be curious about your mother’s suffering yourself. For example, do you know what experiences have contributed to her depression and anxiety, such as family history, genetics, traumas, etc.? Have you talked to her about those or feel comfortable doing so? Inviting a space with someone she trusts like you can be an important first step in feeling like she can eventually reach out to a professional. It can also help you to understand more about the blocks to her getting help.

Often people who won’t get any help despite their suffering feel hopeless or that nobody really cares, especially if they have had experiences that have suggested this early in their life (family being a key contributor, but there are many others). Perhaps your mom has had negative experiences with doctors as some have (feeling ignored, rushed, told to ‘just lose weight’–VERY common, etc.) and this can have a lasting impact on one’s feeling of hopefulness in getting help.

I encourage you to ask questions of your mom’s experience, share your own, and let her know that you are there if she wants some suggestions for ways to get support. But as painful as it is to watch her suffer, you cannot force her to get help. You can lead by example, offer a space for her to be in pain if you are able (listen, support, care, show up), and in doing so, you might help to make her feel more accepted as she is now, and more hopeful that things could get better in the future.

Best to you and your mom-Zoe

• Liked by
Cancel
Loading more replies