Better Together

Anxiety & Covid-19

Updated on March 17, 2020 in Healthy Living
5 on March 15, 2020

Many patients I work with, as well as friends and family, are feeling anxious about being exposed to the covid-19 virus and/or inadvertently passing it along to a loved one or stranger who is in a more vulnerable population. In addition to making sure we are following the CDC guidelines on taking necessary precautions biologically to lower the threat to ourselves and others (see below), attending to anxiety may be an important complementary factor in increasing our body’s ability to respond optimally to an immune attack. 

The health of the immune system, like other systems in the body, is interconnected with brain health. While illness can lead to feelings of anxiety or depression, this relationship can also work in reverse. That is, when we are healthy, our mood and mindset can also affect our immune function and it’s ability to perform optimally. So in addition to the CDC guidelines we all need to be following, if you are feeling anxious, please consider some possible interventions such as:

• Using relaxation audios found in the “Feel Better Fast” tab
  • Using the Killing ANTs exercise to counter negative/catastrophic thinking
  • Avoiding caffeine, additives, dyes, artificial and refined sugars that can exacerbate anxiety and eating protein regularly to maintain blood sugar regulation 
  • Using supplements like GABA Calming, Every Day Stress Relief, l-theanine, and B-vitamins when indicated
  • Drinking calming teas such as chamomile, valerian, vanilla, and lavender 
  • Journaling or drawing to express anxiety
  • Talk with friends via videoconferencing to get support
  • Use online NAMI discussion groups if needed
  • Diaphragmatic breathing exercises

CDC Basic Guidelines

• Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing; going to the bathroom; and before eating or preparing food.
  • Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
  • Avoid unnecessary outings. Maintain distance of 3 ft from others when outside your home.
  • Stay home when you are sick.
  • Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.

Let’s all keep each other as safe as we can and offer support to one another whenever possible. We are all in this together.

Wishing you all health in brain and body- Zoe

• Liked by
1 on March 16, 2020

Oh, thank you for supporting us. I have no family left alive and live on SS. Live alone in low-income Senior housing and have severe back problems and am on O2. Anxiety and depression are getting worse as everyone’s are.  Just thinking, how much I would appreciate notes from our  group to feel less alone. Please?  Thanks so much…bless you all!

Coach
on March 17, 2020

We are so glad you are here! 

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
2 on March 17, 2020

I am currently under a mandatory 14 day quarantine. I have been instructed by the health department to confine myself to one room, have meals prepared for me, stay at least 6 feet away from everyone, discourage people from coming to the house and use separate bathroom facilities. 

I was tested for COVID19 last night because I was exposed during a appointment last week with an orthopedic surgeon. The state  health department sent nurses dressed in disposable gowns and respirators to do the testing.

on March 17, 2020

Oh, Steve,  thank you so much for reaching out. Ironically, today is my birthday and you gave me what I needed most(other than toilet paper!)…to get out of my loneliness and care about someone else. I’m just sending all my best wishes that your test comes back negative. Please keep in touch!

Coach
on March 17, 2020

Thanks for sharing your story, Steve. I imagine the waiting is stressful, but hopefully you are finding some creative ways to stay occupied. Puzzles, solitaire card game, reading, listening to story podcasts or audio books, talking with friends and neighbors via video, etc. How have you been spending your days?

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
Loading more replies